Project Joy and Hope is thrilled to announce the creation of SibShop, an opportunity for brothers and sisters of children with special health and developmental needs to obtain peer support and education within a recreational context. It is also described in short as an event for the brothers and sisters.
WHAT CAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS EXPECT DURING SIBSHOP?
- Be celebrated for their many contributions with their siblings of special needs.
- HAVE FUN!
- Meet other brothers and sisters of children with serious medical conditions or those with special needs.
- Talk with others who “get it” about the good (and sometimes not so good) parts of having a sib with a serious illness or special needs.
- Learn more about the illness or special needs and have a better understanding about what their sib might going through within recreational context.
- HAVE FUN!
- Interactive games and exercises.
Fun and Games
WHAT IS SIBSHOP NOT?
Sibshop is not therapy, although our effect may be therapeutic, but it is a model for overall wellness. It is also not childcare.
WHO ARE SIBSHOP FOR?
Sibshops is designed for children ages, 8 – 13 years old who have a brother or sister with disabilities and facilitated by a Trained Adult Sibling Facilitator. Our goal is to assist siblings of children with disabilities to understand what’s possibly going and how to contribute to their needs, which is often lifelong and the topics ever-changing.
WHO RUNS SIBSHOP?
Our SibShops are run by facilitators who have a professional and, in some cases, a personal understanding of the impact a child’s illness or special needs can have on their brothers and sisters. Equally important, they all have energy and enthusiasm when interacting with kids! There may also be junior facilitators who are sibs themselves in their late teens.
WHEN ARE SIBSHOPS HELD?
Sibshop Dates: Second Saturdays monthly
Summer Camp Dates: June 22,23, 24, 2022 (free) for all students with excellent attendance.
For information or to register by phone call 713-944-6569
WHAT IS THE COST OF SIBSHOP?
The SibShop program for 2021-22 is generously supported by The Ray and Kay Eckstein Charitable Trust and Shell, so your child may attend at no charge.
HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR SIBSHOP?
For more information and to register, fill out our online form, or download the PDF application form and return it to us by mail. Please call Project Joy and Hope’s office at (713) 944-6569 with any questions or to apply by phone. Hurry! Space is limited.