Project Joy and Hope (PJH), is a 501c3 Texas-based nonprofit organization that makes a difference every day for children with life-limiting conditions and their families. Established in 2000, PJH serves families whose children undergo serious medical treatment, await or recover from transplant, or utilize hospice and palliative care. Texas Children’s Hospital, Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, MD Anderson Pediatric Cancer Center, as well as area hospices and home health agencies, refer families through their respective social work departments.
PJH has a well-established reputation as the parent agency of the Texas Pediatric Palliative Care Consortium (TPPCC), a statewide coalition comprised of multidisciplinary teams of health care professionals, community service providers and parents whose aim is to improve palliative care services for children with complex medical conditions and life-limiting illnesses. In collaboration with TPPCC, Project Joy and Hope provides exceptional regional educational conferences designed to improve the quality of pediatric palliative care throughout the state. Additional details are found at the website, www.texasppcc.org.
Project Joy and Hope Programs Include:
- Hope Housing – a home away from home for children with life-limiting conditions and their families
- Family Assistance Grants - assisting families in economic crisis due to child’s medical condition
- HOPE Scholarships – scholarships for bereaved high school seniors overcoming loss
- Parent Support Line (1-866-JOYHOPE) – provides one to one support for parents whose children are seriously ill
- Holiday Gift Program – holiday gifts and financial support for families with children receiving palliative care
- Texas Pediatric Palliative Care Consortium – alliance of health care professionals, volunteers and parents advocating for children with special health care needs.
- www.joyandhope.org – sharing the message of Joy and Hope with the online community.
We’ve listed several other places to find support. Please let us know if you know of others.
Texas Cancer Council
Children's Hospice Advocates
- Children's Hospice International
http://www.chionline.org or 1-800-2-4-CHILD
- Project Joy and Hope
https://www.joyandhope.org or 713-944-6569
Parent Support Groups
- Compassionate Friends
http://www.compassionatefriends.org or 630-990-0010
http://www.candlelighters.org or 1-800-336-2223
Grief and Bereavement Support